Fla. Home to 5 Out of 15 Top At-Risk Hurricane Cities
MIAMI – A review of CoreLogic data by 24/7 Wall St. studied the number of homes at risk of destruction from flooding due to storm surge, and the estimated construction costs that would be required to replace these homes if hit by a major hurricane.
After studying the total number of homes and potential reconstruction costs, it created a list of the top U.S. cities facing the greatest damage from a storm.
While Florida cities hold five of the 15 spots, however – with Miami at No. 1 – the next highest at-risk cities are located outside the Sunshine State.
Top at-risk cities based on number of homes at risk
- Miami (791,775 homes, $157.7 billion reconstruction cost value)
- New York (731,137 homes, $283.3 billion); Tampa (465,644 homes, $84.1 billion)
- New Orleans (399,403 homes, $100.9 billion)
- Virginia Beach (391,365 homes, $98 billion)
- Fort Myers (329,479 homes, $67.6 billion)
- Houston (294,188 homes, $63.8 billion)
- Bradenton (262,745 homes, $53.8 billion)
- Naples (187,205 homes, $42.2 billion)
- Jacksonville (176,509 homes, $41.1 billion)
- Philadelphia (166,444 homes, $43.3 billion)
- Charleston (155,740 homes, $40.9 billion)
- Myrtle Beach (131,083 homes, $24.4 billion)
- Boston (126,196 homes, $34.9 billion)
- Beaumont, Texas (121,710 homes, $22.1 billion)
Source: USA Today (08/04/19) Stockdale, Charles
© Copyright 2019 INFORMATION INC., Bethesda, MD (301) 215-4688